Monday, July 11, 2005

Couldn't I have just one more week???

How is it that a normal work week takes forever, yet you go on vacation, and it's over in what feels like the blink of an eye??? Can anyone tell me that??? LOL The past 10 days flew by so quickly, but I did enjoy myself. (And if nothing else, I didn't have to work!) ::wink wink::

The camping adventure started off a little rocky, but everything fell into place, right around the 3rd day. (Yes, about halfway through the trip!) I think there was a curse on us in the beginning...

First, before we even got 10 minutes from home, I almost jack-knifed with the camper! I won't relay the whole story, but will defend myself in that, I had NEVER backed up ANYTHING while I have a trailer of any kind attached. That being said, no damage was done, luckily. We made it to the campground (which is only an hour from home, and 5 minutes from Brian's sisters house), in about 2 hours. Was there traffic you ask? Or maybe accidents? No, there was not. We were going by directions from the internet, and were letting my 12 year old read us, these silly directions. We totally missed the correct street, we back-tracked for miles, we were hot and aggravated...etc. I'm sure you can wasn't looking pretty. It was sweltering, and Brian was to the point where he said, "I don't even care, I'm just gonna keep driving!" Ugh! I felt big fights becoming a possibility on that first night. Anyhow, he called his brother-in-law, who directed us. It was right down the road from his sister's place. Duh!

So, we eventually made it to the campground, started setting up, and as soon as we pulled out the beds on the pop-up, here comes the downpour! It rained ALL night and into the next morning. Good thing we had the foresight to bring a TV, X-Box, and the DVD player. (Or so I thought!) The next day, everything was damp and it was pretty chilly, but it did end up clearing enough that we could get out on the water for a bit.

The lake was pretty nice, though it could be a little mucky in some areas! Ick! It did also open up to a chain of 7 other lakes, which was pretty cool. To get to the other lakes, we had to navigate through channels and tunnels. Sometimes these channels and tunnels were really really small, but that was one of the very best parts of the whole trip to me. I wish that I had taken my camera with me on the waverunner, but I didn't wanna take the chance of it getting wet. We saw; thousands of flowers of all different shapes and sizes, tons of dragonflies, cranes, tons of fish, some beautiful old farm houses right on the water..etc I love stuff like that! The kids had a ball seeing all of that too.

Brian's mom, sister, and nieces came out for one day. It turned out to be one of the prettiest days of the trip. He actually took his 67 year-old mother out on the waverunner and she loved it!!! She came back saying that she had so much fun. We had a picnic lunch that day and afterwards, all the kids buried Tyler in the sand. They swam and all took turns on the waverunners. (Yes, they slept really good while on this trip!) LOL Of course we roasted marshmallows and made smores as many nights as we could, weather permitting.

All in all, it was a pretty fun trip. I neglected to mention that my kids were pretty terrible the entire time, and I even had to threaten to take them home early, but in spite of that, I did do a limited amount of relaxing, got a bit of sun, and made some new friends while there. Look forward to camping as much as we can, maybe minus kids on a few occassions! LOL

Well, that's about it for now. Hope everyone is doing well.


Dawn said...

welcome back!

jlybn123 said...

Thanks Dawn! It's good to be home!

Leesa said...

Your camping trip sounds alot like mine!! We had downpour & the trailer had to be reversed almost a half mile because of snow!!

Chief Slacker said...

Glad you had fun! Fun trips never last long enough!